Today we are celebrating Christmas and the most important part of the celebration is to get together and prepare some great food. I will share some of the most common and traditional recipes:
1) Stewed sauerkraut
You will need:
- Sauerkraut – can be bought ready (in UK most common in Polish/Lithuanian shops)
- Tomato paste
- Spices: 1 bay leave, ground pepper, sugar
The preparation depends of your taste – there can be many variations. What I did was:
- Fried the chopped onion in butter until golden brown
- Added sauerkraut and a bit of water
- Stewed the sauerkraut until turning brown
- Added spices and tomato paste
- Stewed everything for about 15 – 20 minutes
*you can get the more interesting result by adding bacon or orange juice
For the best result don’t use Teflon pans – the temperature will not be enough and you will spend the whole day in the kitchen. Metal pans on the middle heat work the best.
Stewed sauerkraut is usually served with boiled potatoes.
2) Gray peas with bacon and onion
A very traditional Christmas food.
You will need:
- Grey peas
Preparation process is quite simple:
- Peas should be left to soak overnight and boiled for about 40-60 minutes in salt-water.
- Bacon should be sliced and fried until fat comes out.
- Then add onions, fry until golden
- Add the boiled peas and heat for about 3-5 minutes
These dishes may not look very tempting but they taste so good. The mix of different flavours and amazing smell makes your mouth water.