I really like to cook. I do it every day and like to try out and invent new recipes. Today I tried out this recipe form my vegetarian cookbook and it turned out so nice that I wanted to share it.
- 1 sliced eggplant
- 2 potatoes pealed and sliced into cubes
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into cubes
- 1 big tomato pealed and chopped into pieces
- 1/2 of a chopped onion
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- olive oil (or sunflower oil) for frying
- spices (I used Persilade mix)
- a bit of cheese for topping
- Eggplants should be made soft by salting them and leaving for 1 hour to get the juices out. After this time rinse the eggplants and drain them. Napkins can be used for the best result.
- Boil the oil in a pot and deep fry small portions of eggplants for about 5 minutes each (until they get soft). Take out form oil using a skimmer spoon. *Don’t use high temperature to avoid spoiling the oil.
- Use the same oil for frying potatoes. It also takes about 5 minutes to make them golden. Make sure that potatoes are sliced in small cubes.
- Start frying bell peppers together with onions in a frying-pan. Temperature should be low. Add garlic.In some minutes add tomatoes. Sauté for about 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to about 180’C
- Put all ingredients together in a baking tray, add a bit of salt and shred some cheese on top. Use your favourite spices. Put into the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
It might seem to take enormous amount of time. Everything took me about 1,5h. I started with eggplants and did the rest during the time of softening them. You can try to do several things at the same time – frying potatoes and chopping tomatoes, for example. I always wash all dishes I used in the preparation process while waiting for the meal to be cooked. Two rabbits with one shot – the kitchen is spotless and I can keep an eye on my dish ;).
*This is a vegan recipe, if you avoid using cheese.